The Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority (ARHA), was established to provide affordable, safe and sanitary housing to low and moderate-income families that live in the City of Alexandria. ARHA owns and operates 839 Public Housing units and provides 1,906 Housing Choice Vouchers to residents in the community. The Accounts Payable Accountant performs a variety of responsible clerical accounting duties in support of assigned accounting systems, functions, or programs with emphasis on accounts payable and maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers and accounts. The successful candidate must have a two-year Associate’s Degree from an Accredited College or University or Graduate of a licensed Business College with two (2) years of work experience in a related field or five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in bookkeeping, accounting, finance, or closely related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience. In addition, the successful candidate must have a comprehensive understanding of GAAP, basic bookkeeping principles, recordkeeping procedures, budgeting, cost allocation, auditing, and financial reporting. Moreover, the qualifications of the successful candidate must include the:
- Ability to determine, calculate, tabulate, or summarize data/information and includes performing subsequent actions in relation to these computational operations.
- Ability to establish priorities in workload and to assure continuity of work flow.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, co-workers, and persons outside the Authority.
- Ability to deal effectively with sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise narrative and statistical reports, and deal effectively with situations requiring tact and diplomacy with firmness.
- Ability to operate appropriate Authority computer equipment and software packages.
The duties and responsibilities of the Accounts Payable Accountant include gathering and sorting documents and related information, processing and verifying vouchers and invoices for accuracy, making all necessary adjustment in balances, as well as verifying and reconciling balances and total accounts payable. Further, the successful candidate will be responsible for researching problem invoices and purchase orders; communicating with vendors by phone, in writing, or in person to obtain or provide information; and, assisting the Procurement Manager in the review of purchase order requests for applicable departments, verifying availability of budgetary funds, encumbering funds, and issuing purchase orders. The duties and responsibilities of the Accounts Payable Accountant also include, but are not limited to:
- Obtaining Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (Form W9) and references from vendors.
- Obtaining authorization for encumbrances of budget appropriations from supervisor up to limits established by approved procedures.
- Running trial reports of payables to check for accuracy. Processing, printing, and obtaining required signatures on checks.
- Issuing checks for payment, including audit checks, refund checks, checks for Tenant Accounting, and other manual checks.
- Reconciling employee travel vouchers with travel advances and actual expenses reported by employees.
- Preparing travel advances and reimbursements and corporate purchasing card payments, as well as disbursements to vendor or employee, as appropriate.
- Researching account coding and ensuring consistent coding is used that provides optimum detail for purchases.
- Assisting in maintaining budgetary records and data in a computerized system, verifying and balancing information recorded.
- Answering inquiries from vendors concerning invoice payment status and resolving issues with unpaid vouchers in a professional manner.
- Maintaining complete records through posting in general ledger, reconciling monthly bank statements, and assisting in preparing semi-annual Minority Business Enterprise reports, and providing other reports as required.