Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority
The Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority (ARHA), was established to provide affordable, safe and sanitary housing to low and moderate-income families that live in the City of Alexandria. ARHA owns and operates 766 Public Housing units and provides 1,727 Housing Choice Vouchers to residents in the community.
Job Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Public Service or Business Administration or Human Service or related field, from an accredited college or university, plus at least three (3) years of specialized experience in the housing or social services field, or at least ten (10) years experience in an equivalent or similar position. The successful candidate should have an Occupancy Specialist Certification and Rent Calculation Certification or must be able to obtain such within one (1) year of employment or other allowable period as authorized by the CEO. In addition, the candidate must be knowledgeable of HUD federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations, as well as policies and procedures pertaining to public and tax credit housing. Moreover, the successful candidate must have a thorough knowledge of interviewing techniques and record maintenance; the ability to understand and follow moderately complex written and oral instructions, as well as communicate and relate to persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities. Furthermore, the successful candidate should have the ability to make routine decisions in accordance with established administrative rules, regulations and policies; and the ability to explain the re-examination process to tenants in an objective and impartial manner. The candidate must have knowledge of basic math principles sufficient to perform calculations for determining rent, resolving discrepancies, PIC and EIV errors. Finally, the candidate must have the ability to prepare clear, concise reports and make appropriate recommendations within his/her scope of responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Leasing Specialist is responsible for answering inquiries concerning polices and practices associated with the application and/or re-examination processes in a courteous and professional manner; coordinating background information checks of tenants to be re-certified; and performing final eligibility verifications. In addition, the Leasing Specialist prepares lease-up packets and briefs new tenants on lease requirements; reviews lease documents for accuracy and completeness and executes leases, as well as assists in the preparation and distribution of notices of rent violations and assists property manager with lease enforcement.
The Leasing Specialist duties also include, but are not limited to:
1. Preparing/completing Form HUD-50058 in an accurate and timely manner, and sending such documentation to the Director of Asset Management or her designee for a quality control review prior to the timely electronic submission to the PIC system.
2. Accurately updating the TenMast WinTen2 system with system notes to ensure compliance with program requirements and regulations.
3. Reviewing resident/applicant files/folders and verification forms for accuracy and completeness.
4. Documenting and investigating resident complaints and scheduling appointments to discuss and initiate solutions or referrals to the property manager, as appropriate.
5. Ensuring privacy and maintaining security of confidential materials.