The Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority (ARHA) was established to provide decent, safe and sanitary housing to low and moderate-income individuals and families. ARHA owns and manages 769 units of conventional public housing, 109 units of project-based vouchers, 223 units of market-rate housing and is allocated 1,926 rental assistance vouchers under the Housing Choice Voucher Program. The Intake and Leasing Specialist is responsible for providing assistance to the Program Manager and Senior Intake/Leasing Specialist and performing administrative task and assigned duties pertaining to, and in accordance with, the Authority’s Public Housing, Moderate Rehabilitation, Housing Choice Voucher, Project Based Voucher, Low-Income Housing Tax Credit and Market Rate leasing and occupancy policies and procedures in accordance with HUD, federal, local and other applicable laws, rules, policies and procedures. In addition, the successful candidate will perform a variety of tasks related to assisting in the admission and occupancy of all Authority administered programs and units, as appropriate. The successful candidate shall have a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Social Studies, Human Services, Sociology or Business Administration or related field from an accredited college or university or an Associate’s Degree in one of the aforementioned disciplines from an accredited college or university and experience in a public housing or private sector property management environment. The successful candidate shall preferably have experience in the housing or social services field. In addition, the successful candidate shall possess an Occupancy Specialist Certification, Rent Calculation Certification and Tax Credit Certification or must be able to obtained these designations from an industry recognized certified provider, within one (1) year of employment or other allowable period as authorized by the Chief Executive Officer. The successful candidate shall be competent in the following areas, but not limited to having:
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and Authority policies and procedures pertaining to public housing.
- Thorough knowledge of interviewing techniques and record maintenance.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Ability to understand and follow moderately complex written and oral instructions, communicate and relate to persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Ability to make routine decisions in accordance with established administrative rules, regulations and policies, to explain the re-examination process to tenants in an objective and impartial manner.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation of the Authority’s computer system and applicable software.
- Thorough knowledge of basic math principles sufficient to perform calculations for determining rent, resolving discrepancies, PIC and EIV errors.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise reports and make appropriate recommendations within the scope of responsibility.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees.
- Ability to deal effectively with situations requiring tact and diplomacy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of the Intake and Leasing Specialist include, but are not limited to:
- Answering inquiries concerning policies and practices associated with the application processes in a courteous and professional manner or routing/directing inquiries to appropriate staff.
- Assisting with waiting list administration and responding to waiting list inquiries, as required.
- Scheduling appointments and assisting in explaining programs and eligibility requirements to applicants.
- Conducting weekly application sessions to ensure an adequate pool of applicants is available to meet program utilization and occupancy goals.
- Conducting briefings and lease orientation sessions for applicants and new landlords.
- Performing unit tours, site inspections and landlord outreach as directed by the Program Manager - Intake/Leasing and/or Senior Intake/Leasing Specialist.
- Processing portability and transfer requests for new and existing program participants, in accordance with Authority and program rules and regulations.
- Performing background information checks of tenants to be screened and/or certified, as well as assisting in performing final eligibility verifications.
- Assisting in contacting eligible applicants to offer available subsidies and/or units in accordance with Authority policies and procedures.
- Reviewing applicant files and updating information on prospective tenants, and places non-respondents in inactive files.
- Contributing to the preparation of lease-up packets and briefs new tenants on program, occupancy and lease requirements.
- Reviewing lease documents for accuracy and completeness prior to execution of leases by authorized personnel.