Intake and Leasing Specialist is responsible for providing assistance to the Program Manager and Senior Intake/Leasing Specialist and performing administrative task and assigned duties pertaining to, and in accordance with, the Authority’s Public Housing, Moderate Rehabilitation, Housing Choice Voucher, Project Based Voucher, Low Income Housing Tax Credit and Market Rate leasing and occupancy policies and procedures in accordance with HUD, federal, local and other applicable laws, rules, policies and procedures. Performs a variety of tasks related to assisting in the admission and occupancy of all Authority administered programs and units, as appropriate.
Qualifications and Knowledge
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Social Studies, Social Science, Human Services or Business Administration and two (2) or more years of public housing or property management experience or related field, or Associate’s Degree in one of the aforementioned disciplines and five (5) years of experience in public housing or private sector property management. Experience in the housing or social services field desirable. Occupancy Specialist Certification, Rent Calculation Certification and Tax Credit Certification must be obtained from an industry recognized certified provider, within one (1) year of employment or other allowable period of hire as authorized by the Chief Executive Officer. The successful candidate must have:
- Ability to learn federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and Authority policies and procedures pertaining to public housing, housing choice voucher, moderate rehabilitation, project based voucher/section 8, and Virginia landlord tenant act, as appropriate.
- Working knowledge of interviewing techniques and record maintenance.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Ability to understand and follow moderately complex written and oral instructions, communicate and relate to persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Ability to make routine decisions in accordance with established administrative rules, regulations and policies, to explain the examination process to tenants in an objective and impartial manner.
- Working knowledge of the operation of the Authority’s computer system and applicable software.
- Knowledge of basic math principles sufficient to perform essential job functions.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise reports and make appropriate recommendations within scope of responsibility.
- Ability to use basic office equipment such as telephone, fax, copier, and computer.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, verbally and in writing.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate must exhibit demonstrated experience, knowledge and competence in performing the following duties:
- Answering inquiries concerning polices and practices associated with the application processes in a courteous and professional manner or routes/directs inquiries to appropriate staff.
- Assisting with waiting list administration and responding to waiting list inquiries, as required.
- Scheduling appointments and assisting in explaining programs and eligibility requirements to applicants.
- Conducting weekly application sessions to ensure an adequate pool of applicants are available to meet program utilization and occupancy goals.
- Conducting briefing and leasing orientation sessions for applicants and new landlords.
- Performing unit tours, site inspections and landlord outreach as directed by the Program Manager - Intake/Leasing and/or Senior Intake/Leasing Specialist.
- Processing portability and transfer request for new and existing program participant in accordance with Authority and program rules and regulations.
- Performing background information checks of tenants to be screened and/or certified. Assists in performing final eligibility verifications.
- Assisting in contacting eligible applicants to offer available subsidies and/or units in accordance with Authority policies and procedures.
- Reviewing applicant files and updates information on prospective tenants and places non-respondents in inactive files.
- Contributing to the preparation of lease-up packets and briefs new tenants on program, occupancy and lease requirements.
- Reviewing lease documents for accuracy and completeness prior to execution of leases by authorized personnel.
- Assisting in accurate and timely preparation of Form HUD-50058.
- Explaining rent calculation to tenants and assists with completion of certification materials as assigned.
- Scheduling and conducting examination interviews with applicants/tenants as assigned, following proper verification methods/processing for each examination in accordance with HUD and Authority policies and procedures. Assists in examination and resolution of income discrepancies, as necessary.
- Accurately, entering move-in and move-out data into system, as needed.
- Processing security deposit, prorate and first month rent payments and forwards fund to finance in accordance with Authority standard operating procedures.
- Processing and maintains files and correspondence associated with the leasing/occupancy process in an accurate and timely manner.
- Reviewing resident/applicant files/folders and verification forms for accuracy and completeness and accurately inputs data into computer in a timely manner.
- Compiling statistical data and prepare reports related to certifications, applicant folders, occupancy, and residents within level of expertise.
- Searching files for information required by department staff, as requested.
- Ensuring privacy and maintains security of confidential materials.