The Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority (ARHA) was established to provide safe, clean and sanitary housing accommodations to low and moderate-income individuals. ARHA currently manages 1,096 units of public housing and administers 1,721 vouchers under the Housing Choice Voucher Programs. The Laborer / Custodian will be responsible for performing semi-skilled janitorial and grounds services for ARHA, including office building, common areas, and turnover/make-ready cleaning functions for vacant units, as assigned.
Qualifications and Knowledge
The successful candidate should be a High School graduate (desirable) or GED. In addition, the successful candidate should have at least two (2) years experience in the groundskeeper, maintenance, and/or janitorial field or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Preferably in multi-family housing. Further, the successful candidate should have, but not limited to:
- Good knowledge of techniques, methods, materials, and equipment used in custodial activities and grounds keeping.
- Ability to understand and follow simple instructions.
- Skilled in use of various building and grounds maintenance tools and equipment, as appropriate (lawn mower, edger, buffer, vacuum cleaner, etc.).
- Ability to perform moderately strenuous physical activity.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and residents.
- Ability to follow oral instructions.
- Ability to be covered under the Housing Authority’s fidelity bond.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Laborer / Custodian include cleaning office building, bathrooms, hallways, community rooms, laundry facilities and community room kitchens, as well as vacant units in accordance with Authority standards by performing the following duties:
- Sweeping, scrubbing, waxing, and polishing floors using brooms, wet mops, scrapers, and/or heavy powered scrubbers and buffers.
- Cleaning rugs and carpeted floors using light-weight and/or heavy powered vacuum cleaner, hand sweeper, or shampooer, as appropriate.
- Washing and cleaning windows, walls, ceiling, and fixtures, using ladders, as needed.
- Maintaining assigned restrooms in clean, orderly, and sanitary condition. Cleaning, disinfecting, and deodorizing lavatories, urinals, and toilet bowls. Cleaning mirrors, sinks, faucet knobs, and scrubbing, as well as cleaning enameled and ceramic walls and toilet partitions in restrooms. Keeping toilet paper, towels, and soap dispensers supplied. Mopping and sanitizing floors of each assigned restroom.
- Disconnecting and cleaning appliances.
- Emptying waste baskets and/or trash containers, and smoking receptacles in and around office, common areas, and vacant units and disposing of trash and refuse in an appropriate manner.
- Dusting, cleaning, and/or polishing furniture, desks, and light fixtures.
The duties and responsibilities for the Laborer / Custodian will also include, but not limited to:
- Performing preventive maintenance as assigned such as checking smoke detectors, checking emergency lights, replacing light bulbs, cutting off water to sill cocks, cleaning dryer vents, changing furnace/air-conditioner filters, cleaning guttering, and adjusting exterior light timers.
- Reporting all unusual circumstances such as vandalism, missing light bulbs or fixtures, missing smoke detectors, fire extinguishers to the supervisor.
- Assisting in graffiti removal and/or repainting. May assist with painting of fire lanes, parking dividers, etc.
- Reporting supply needs to the supervisor.
- Assisting in transporting, loading, and unloading of cabinets, counters, appliances, furniture, supplies, materials, etc., as assigned.
- Assisting management/leasing staff with curb appeal functions which may include detailing model units, putting out balloons, banners, a-boards, etc.
- Maintaining Authority-owned materials in a neat and orderly manner at all times. Maintains a neat and organized work area free of clutter and debris. Upon completion of cleaning tasks, all equipment and supplies shall be cleaned and/or stored appropriately.
- Performing on-call rotation and after hours maintenance emergencies in accordance with Authority policies and procedures.
- Accountability for consistent adherence to strong Authority standards regarding the ethical, responsible, and appropriate use, care, and safeguarding of Authority materials, supplies, resources, and other assets.